IEng MIET, MInstD
Bill Heaps is the Managing Director of Wellington based Strata Energy Consulting. Bill is an electrical engineer, business executive and company director with broad
experience in major infrastructure and energy supply businesses.
Bill has held senior executive and governance positions in the generation, transmission, distribution and retail businesses.
Bill has over 35 years' experience in electricity utilisation and supply.
In addition, he has considerable knowledge of electricity utilisation, energy efficiency, demand-side management and technology transfer. In recent years he has been engaged by governments and energy regulators to undertake technical inquiries into high profile power system failures. The investigations have covered complex technical and market events such as large-scale power disruptions and power system security incidents.
As an industry leader, Bill is sought after as a presenter and chairman for major conferences and as an independent chair of official advisory groups.
In New Zealand, Bill has chaired several advisory groups that have been influential in building New Zealand's remarkable renewables based electricity market. Advisory groups under Bill's leadership developed market rules for full retail competition and the integration of wind energy.
Bill has also presented papers at major international conferences in the USA, Canada, Middle East, China, South East Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Prior to his current consulting role, Bill was General Manager Commercial Services at Transpower, New Zealand's electricity transmission and system operating company.
He also managed New Zealand's largest geothermal power stations through the period of change from public to private ownership.
In the earlier stages of electricity reforms Bill established and managed one of the first national electricity retail businesses (Energy Brokers) and was Commercial Manager for Central Power, an electricity distribution business.
Bill has been engaged by the New Zealand Commerce Commission to undertake compliance and regulation breach investigations of several electricity distribution businesses.
He has been the lead engineering management / technical advisor on several regulatory reviews of transmission and distribution businesses in Australia, New Zealand and in Singapore.
- Electricity transmission networks - experienced in the provision of transmission services, including pricing and revenue, contracts, asset management systems and performance
- Electricity distribution - Experienced in distribution company governance, strategy and policy development and distribution business processes
- Wholesale electricity market - Expertise in the design, governance, regulation and operation of electricity markets
- Electricity Generation - experienced in power generation plant management and investment planning
- Retail electricity markets - Expertise in retail market design and operation, including market processes, price risk management, metering, reconciliation and information systems regulation, rules and governance
- Electricity Utilisation - experienced in the use of load management techniques in major industrial manufacturing plants and commercial buildings.
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET) (IEng)
- Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering with endorsements in computer engineering and mathematics
- City and Guilds of London Institute, Electrical Technicians Parts I and II and Electrical Installation
- Oxford University Master of Management, Templeton College University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- 1990 - 1992
Commercial Manager, Central Power
- 1992 - 1995
General Manager Energy Brokers New Zealand Limited
- 1995 - 1998
General Manager Geothermal Power, ECNZ and Contact Energy
- 1998 - 2003
General Manager Commercial Services, Transpower New Zealand Limited
- 2003 - present
Managing Director, Strata Energy Consulting Limited.
Directorships - Past
- dCypher Limited
- Orion Group Limited
- Fraser Park Sportsville
Directorships - Current
- Strata Energy Consulting
- Energy Impact Limited
- Fraser Park Sportsville