Electricity retail sector regulatory arrangements in New Zealand
While with the former New Zealand electricity regulator, one of our team members had
overall responsibility for electricity retail sector regulatory arrangements within the
regulator. Consequently, he was responsible for, amongst other things, leading the
- rule changes for enhancing the regulator’s customer switching and reconciliation systems as well as the associated service provider agreements
- model domestic consumer contracts
- model use of system agreements
- model arrangements for small scale distributed generation
- the early stages of the regulator’s global reconciliation system development.
Subsequently, Strata has continued to advise the regulator on various retail sector regulatory arrangements including:
- a customer compensation scheme that applies during periods of severe supply shortage, such as enduring low hydro inflow sequences
- the development of a regulated default distribution agreement
- design of regulated processes for connection of distributed generation to distribution networks.